Thursday, March 27, 2008

Our 2nd anniversary is next week!

In light of our second anniversary I would like to share a video of Jessica's brother, Johnny, and me, Justin, playing guitar. The idea was that we would play this song as Jessica walked down the isle. With Jessica's help and hours upon hours of work we arranged this version of the Allman Brothers Band song, "Jessica". This has always been one of my favorite songs. Johnny worked so hard on this and it shows. My part was really just 2 chords the whole time, then two different chords for the outtro. But hey, I'm a drummer, so it was hard for me :). I rediscovered this video on my old computer as I went through backing up some files. The sad thing about this whole story is Johnny and I never got to play this song at our wedding. We got approval through someone who turns out didn't know anything at our church, then when we went to the rehearsal, our priest said we couldn't play it. It was devastating at first, but Jessica and I concluded that our marriage was more important than playing this song. As I look back I don't feel bad about it. I cherish that weekend that the three of us did nothing but work on this song. This video is late at night, and we figured we should record it so we could practice on our own after I went back to Davis. We probably played this song over a hundred times that weekend, in between jamming sets with me on drums playing "Purple Haze" and "Rock Candy". I love it, and as I look back it reminds me of my time with Jessica's family early on, getting to know them and realizing that I truly had made the right decision to marry Jessica. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to fit so perfectly in a family that was completely new to me and that weekend we worked on this song solidified my love of Jessica. It was meant to be. So here's a stroll down memory lane, the video is on YouTube and here it is...



I love you Jess, Happy almost 2nd anniversary.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Yay! Thanks for putting this up there. You should disclose that the video is just for the sound, because we didn't have a good digital audio recorder at the time...otherwise, its just a video of Johnny's butt!

Thanks Justin!

Anonymous said...

This is so cool! I can't believe you two love birds have been married two years already - Happy Anniversary!