Friday, February 26, 2010

September 2009


Time to play catch-up once again. So much has happened since I last blogged (oh, 5 1/2 months ago...and that was a catch-up too) that I'll divide this catch-up into months.

Right after my last blog we headed up to Santa Rosa for an awesome -and busy- weekend. We started off Saturday with the Viking Opener at Spring Lake. This is one of the first races that I ran every season in high school and they have an alumni race. Since this is the first year I've been ready to give it a real effort we decided to run it. I ended up finishing 10th among women and got a medal! Justin and I crossed the finish line together-that was fun.The rest of the weekend was jam-packed. We hiked up to lake Illsanjo (at the top of Annadel) and practiced lake swimming--it was both of our first lake swim in a while and we were training for the triathlon so it was great practice. After we hiked back down we headed over to set up camp. We spent the night camping at Spring Lake. Gianna loved the hammock and the s'mores. Connor was not the biggest fan of camping and ended up going back to the house with Justin at some point during the night. The next day was very hot so we hiked for a bit then rented a kayak and boated for a bit, then decided the heat was too much and called it a day.The following week was spent doing some final training for the triathlon and then resting for a few days so we were ready to go for the big race. On Saturday we woke up very early and headed out to Oakdale. After getting all of our transition clothing and equiptment set up it was time to head down to the water. After a long pep-talk from the race coordinators it was go time. Justin and I both started off the swim slow because it's pretty nerve-wracking to be in the water with that many people. Justin picked up speed and I stayed at the back of the pack. He was getting ready to leave with his bike by the time I got to mine. We both did great on the bike. Justin is awesome at biking and I improved my average speed by over 1.5mph from any of our training rides. The run was...exhausting. After an hour and a half of cardio running 3 miles felt like forever but we both did it and finished strong. Justin finished 52 seconds ahead of me and we both finished in under 1 hour and 51 minutes. I was surprised to find out that I finished 3rd for my age group in the race and got a medal too!All in all it was a great experience and I would gladly do it again.

One of our favorite parts of summer is the Farmer's Market and we could be found there having a picnic pretty much every week. This was always so much fun, especially when we met friends there and the kids got to play.

Gianna also loved buying food at the farmers market. Her favorite were strawberries for eating fresh and freezing for smoothies and anything that we could pickle. Here is a picture of her super excited about making pickles and pickled green beans.

The last week of September Gianna started going to a combo ballet/tap class with her friends Kaylee and Sophia. She had a hard time at first but quickly decided she loved it.

1 comment:

Jenna Dockery said...

yayyy glad the kids liked the show :)