Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Evil Genius

Over the past 2 days I have questioned my ability to mother a 2 year-old more than I ever thought I would. I always say that living with a toddler it is like living with a manic depressive and this week proves that very true.

In particular, over the course of the last 36 hours, Gianna has had 6 significant tantrums (3 in public). Yesterday at the mall she didn't want to leave Gymboree because they play cartoons in the store and she started screaming so loud I practically ran out of the store. Same deal in Children's Place, only there is was because I wouldn't open a sealed package of PJs for her. We actually managed to clear out Children's Place. Today in Target she threw the mother of all fits that just kep becoming more and more embarassing as I felt it was necessary to be a consistent parent and gave her a timeout right in the middle of the store for pulling a GIANT stack of cards off the shelf. You see, I know how esential it is to immediately reward good behavior by praising her, but I also know how imortant it is to immediately punish (with a timeout) bad behavior. Of course the group of people standing nearby did not appreciate my commitment to consistent parenting. What they don't know with Gianna is that she is smart: she will remember that I caved one time and work harder and harder each time to get what she wants. Like the time Justin first took her to Costco and carried her the whole time. For him it was special Daddy/Daughter time and he loves getting to hold her (while he still can), for her it was the gateway to never having to ride in the cart again (and special Daddy/Daughter time).

And while we're on the subject of Costco...

Today Gianna took a receipt out of my purse, looked at it and said "Costco." And yes, it really was from Costco! Is she a Genius? or maybe an Evil Genius?

Who knows, but it sure is exciting and dynamic to be her mother.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

You're doing great honey! I think 2 is the magic number when every good and loving parent begins to wonder what the heck they'e doing!! All of a sudden these little people become a massive challenge. I've had my share of Taregt tamtrums. Just last week she was face down in the middle of the aisle kicking and crying. I tried to pretend I wasn't her Mom, but she kept looking at me screaming MOMMY so I couldn't fool anyone.